The Monuments in Messina
Far back in 1908 sailors of the Russian Emperor’s Fleet came to rescue citizens of Sicily after a terrible earthquake. Local people were grateful to the Russian sailors and called them "the Angels from the sea".
The heroic act was depicted by the monument erected in 2012 on the square of the Sicilian town of Messina at the initiative of the Foundation of St. Andrew the
The friendship between Russia and Sicily was continued in 2015 when monuments to poet and writer Boris Pasternak and the first translator of "Doctor Zhivago" novel from Russian into Italian, Slavist Pietro Zveteremich, were erected in Messina in July. And the monument to Anna Akhmatova became a sightseeing attraction in Taormina.